Thailand’s new Prime Minister, Srettha Thavisin, has voiced opposition to the recreational use of cannabis while affirming his administration’s commitment to supporting its medical applications.
Thailand made history as the first Southeast Asian nation to decriminalize cannabis in the previous year; however, it hastily introduced regulations to control its potential misuse, especially among children.
Srettha, from the Pheu Thai party, which leads an 11-party coalition government, firmly stands against recreational cannabis use, aligning with his party’s and its largest partner, the Bhumjaithai party’s stance, which both advocate exclusively for medical usage.
The Thai cannabis industry is anticipated to reach a value of up to $1.2 billion in the coming years, fostering numerous businesses in popular tourist destinations.
The Prime Minister has highlighted the issue of drug abuse in the country, stating that cannabis must be employed solely for medical purposes, reports Reuters.
Under the new government, about 70% of marijuana shops are expected to close once marijuana is reclassified as a narcotic, Global Cannabis Times reported in June. Online cannabis shops and roadside stalls will be most affected. The remaining 30% of shops are expected to operate under new regulations.Advertisement
Cannaconvo with Peter Su of Green Check Verified
Cannabis Last Week with Jon Purow interviews Peter Su of Green Check Verified. Peter Su is a Senior Vice President with Green Check Verified, the top cannabis banking compliance software/consultancy in the space. A 20+ year veteran of the banking industry, Peter serves on the Banking & Financial Services committee of the National Cannabis Industry Association. He chairs the Banking and Financial Services Committee for the NYCCIA & HVCIA. He is an official member of the Rolling Stone Cannabis Culture Council. And, he is on the board of the Asian Cannabis Roundtable, serving as treasurer.
The Global Cannabis Times Interview with Raj Grover, Part 2
The Global Cannabis Times Interview with Raj Grover, Part 1
Japan Legalizes Medical Cannabis Products, Tightens Drug Laws
MJBizCon Speakers Focus on the Challenges, Provide a Glimmer of Hope
Germany Sets 2024 for Cannabis Legalization, Eases Regulations
How Do Cannabis Pros Balance Work and Life?
Leadership, Empathy, and a Noble Cause
The Global Cannabis Times Interview with Kristi Palmer, Kiva Confections Co-Founder
Investment in the European Cannabis Industry with William Muecke & Daniel Grözinger
The first cannabis flower prescription on the NHS with Mike Roberts